Monday, July 18, 2005

at the flicks

We saw the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory today, and even though DS2 wriggled maddeningly on my lap throughout, and whined right up until it started and immediately upon it ending, I loved it.

Best moment: DS2 turning to give me a very thorough hug when Charlie found the Golden Ticket. He was so happy he couldn't contain himself -- awesome.

(rant)
I did miss a few minutes because DS1 needed to go to the bathroom. I swear, I will NOT take my children to the movies unless all of them use the bathroom before we leave, or at least before the previews start. We get popcorn, it's salty. They drink their water. ALL of their water. Their tiny bladders fill up, and I end up missing parts of movies I've paid very good money to see. Annoying, but since this is about the only thing I can complain about regarding my kids, I will count my blessings.
(end rant)

Back to the movie: I liked the stripped-down story of this version, and I loved the visual design. I liked very much that they re-instated Charlie's father, and I adored the cast from top to bottom. Deep Roy rocked, and is very good at lip synching. Loved the boat ride. Loved seeing the kids leave the factory, although the scene where they arrived was classic Tim Burton and I loved that, too, even though I think it was on the verge of disturbing my kids. Had it gone on a moment longer, it would have been too much -- but as it was, it just squeaked by.

So, recommended only with the reservation that if you dislike Tim Burton and/or Danny Elfman, don't bother.

Most exciting preview: Burton's The Corpse Bride, with nearly the same cast. (Yay!) Looks awesome, but I don't know if I'll let my kids see it. That's OK, I'll go myself (hehehe). Preview bone tossed to the moms in the audience: Must Love Dogs, which, since it has both John Cusack and Diane Lane, I may actually go to see or will definitely rent once it hits DVD. It actually looked insightful and witty, and it has the bonus of having Christopher Plummer, whom I have adored ever since The Sound of Music.

Oh, and there's a new Zorro movie coming, too! I loved Antonio Banderas last time, and the preview at least was very lively. There is the sad but definite possibility that the film won't live up to the promises of the preview -- it happens way to often that they put the best parts in the trailer to lure you, unwitting, into the theatre, all unaware that you've already seen everything worth seeing... but Antonio is worth looking at, and so is CZJ, and that CA setting was gorgeous as well, so at the very least we can hope for a good eye-candy piece if not a great action movie. And if we're really lucky, it will be a great action movie.

I was surprised to learn about Corpse Bride and Zorro from these previews, I realized I've been neglecting AICN. It's summer, I can't keep up with everything!

No comments: