Wednesday, September 21, 2005

hazardous duty

This afternoon, I was doing one lap of backstroke (out of five total laps), and as I finished the first pool length, I smacked my right wrist on the pool wall. Ouch.

Back at the other end, I whacked my left forearm, and before I could stop myself, I bumped my head. I felt like one of those cartoon characters with the little birds twittering around my throbbing skull.

But that could've been the new latex swim cap, which did keep my hair dry but was also snug. Very snug. Perhaps a bit too snug? It didn't seem too bad until I bumped my head. Anyway, I appreciated not having to wash my hair out when I got out of the pool.

So begins week 3 of the new workout. Didn't do anything over the weekend, but today wasn't too bad anyway. I managed the five laps OK. Yoga was tough because we used the stability balls and the teacher really works us. She's great in how she varies the routine from class to class.

I have the sense that if I keep this up I will actually get fitter, but I'm also skeptical. I think if I actually expect to improve I will only disappoint myself. On the other hand, staving off further deterioration is a really good thing. What I really want is to swim with these guys. We'll see what the docs in Houston say. If they give me the greenlight, I'm signing up.

No comments: