Friday, September 30, 2005

October column: Chocolate Banana Bundt Cake

Updating an old favorite, in the newest issue of the Low Carb Luxury Online Magazine.

This really was a delicious cake -- even the kids, who usually only eat the frosting and skip the cake itself, liked it. Enough to have more than one piece! (Typical scenario when trying something new: Do you like it? yeah... Will you ever eat it again? No! [heh])

If you would like to try the regular lower-carb banana bread recipe, it's here.

The bananas are really a spectacular ingredient for improving texture. Many low carb baked goods suffer from being too dry, too leaden, or too spongey. I often bake with added fruits (like bananas or apples) or vegetables (like shredded zuchini or stewed pumpkin) because they are such versatile ingredients, improving taste, texture, and nutritional content as well. It seems so obvious to me that I wonder why no one ever complains that many of my recipes are so similar. I suppose if you packed them all into a book, it would be more noticeable, but since these folks only get one a month, it's harder to see the pattern. Then again, I haven't written up every fruit-or-veggie inspired creation I make at home, either. (yet)

This column's tag mentioned the regular banana bread and encouraged people to email me if they wanted the recipe, and so far I've had six requests. This was, by far, my favorite: Since I have tried your recipes before and loved them - I'd like to request a copy of your "lower carb" banana bread. (emphasis in original)

Nothing like a little ego boost first thing in the morning.

No comments: