Thursday, September 29, 2005

well, I never

I really did not think that if I worked out regularly, I would get fit. I had a defeatist attitude underneath it all -- something was going to happen, it just wasn't going to work.

I don't mind saying it: I was wrong.

I feel scads better. I have more energy and fewer aches. I did my seven laps again today, but on the last lap I had enough energy to do an all-out, fast-as-I-can freestyle lap. Minimal rests at either end in between pool lengths, too -- I think next week I'll start doing straight 50s instead of 25s.

I do still need a new swim cap, though. My hair's getting soaked. At least it's not being yanked out of my scalp by the latex cap, because I put the lycra one on first. But I need to find a silicone swim cap that's big enough to hold in all my hair!

Also, my yoga class is really great. The instructor (who is also named Joan) is awesome. She changes up the class every time, so even though we always stretch out everything, we do it in different ways. Certain moves become familiar, but that's OK. I love it, and I'm really going to miss it when I'm in Houston.

One reason I don't want to need surgery is I don't want to give this up. It feels good to be getting into shape, after all these years of inactivity.

1 comment:

nina said...

Yes, focusing on getting/staying in shape is one of those rare wonderful addictions that's competely good for you and also for all those who have to be around you. It switches the focus from aging to increasing your physical strength. It's such a positive step! Do keep at it. You must!