Monday, October 10, 2005

pushing through it

I took the kids to the zoo today. We did nothing all weekend -- it's not at all clear why that was, either, except for me going to bed very late and so not feeling like doing anything. So today, to kind of sort of make up for being such a slug all weekend, we all went to the zoo after picking DS2 up from school. It was a very odd day in that the little guy had school when the older two did not, but hey, it was easy -- dropped off the peewee, came home, and made the older two do their homework and reading -- ha! They grumped about it, but I was so very glad that they just knuckled down and did what they needed to do, so we were free to play the rest of the day.

The Phoenix Zoo completely rocks, but they still got tired. It ended up being a minor replay of our DisneyLand technique: DS1 pushing DD in the stroller, while I piggy-backed DS2. DS1 likes having the stroller to lean on and so doesn't mind, but DD is a terrible whiner when faced with the idea of having to walk for even 5 minutes. We're going to have to train before we visit any more theme parks, because she's getting way too big to ride in the stroller. It hasn't given out yet, though, for which I am grateful.

Anyway: I feel a bit squeezed, like I need to get certain experiences in before I head off to Houston, where who-knows-what will happen. That would explain my near-obsessive house-cleaning and de-cluttering, too. Areas that have been piling up and up for weeks are suddenly unbearable to me, and I've dispatched them one by one until now things are actually looking really good. Mom will be here on Friday, but that really doesn't have anything to do with it: she has way more going on in the "stuff" department than I do, and I have the excuse of having 3 kids. More to the point, she would never ever ever say anything to me about clutter, either. It's just not her style, and one of the many reasons why I love her so dearly.

Tomorrow: a more or less "normal" Tuesday, we'll see how I survive the swim/yoga duo. I was fine at the zoo, even carrying DS2 around. It's weird because even though I do hurt all over, I can still do whatever I want, basically. Usually I'm just ultra-creaky when I start moving, but once I'm going, I'm good.

This time next week, I'll be in Houston, and I still haven't decided whether or not I'll lug the laptop with me. It's such a behemoth compared to what they've got now, and the harddisk had some serious issues last week. I think I can survive N days without a computer, can't I? Yeah, I can -- and it will probably be good for me, too. By next Monday night maybe I'll have an idea of what's going to happen. That would be very cool indeed.

1 comment:

nina said...

May I put in a plug for taking the laptop too? I have found that my connectedness kept me going through very difficult days this summer. Writing was stupendously helpful and hearing from people was extraordinary.

At a selfish level, I, too, would like to know how you're doing. I will be in Vienna, but even there, with all its distractions and temptations, I will have my laptop next to me for a check-in at least twice each day.