Tuesday, November 15, 2005

the spoils

I know, not much going on around here lately. One reason? The most recent episode of the fabulous HBO series Rome, The Spoils.

I think I've watched it four times now, and could easily watch it four more times. The characters are absolutely fascinating, and the actors who portray them are uniformly fantastic. Ciaran Hinds' Caesar just blows me away, but my fan-grrl heart belongs to Kevin McKidd's Lucius Vorenus. (Why, you may ask? It's simple -- he reminds me of my own DH!)

At any rate, "The Spoils" shows that "Rome" isn't just a big costume drama, they know how to wield gory special effects with the best of them -- the forum "battle" scene (it's much more than a fight) is just phenomenal -- and the implications for our dear main characters are quite dire. Just how are they all going to get out of their respective troubles?

Well, one of them, we know, won't -- next episode encompasses the Ides of March, so we'll only have Hinds to enjoy for one more episode.

(sigh)

I comfort myself with the knowledge that Season 2 is a go, and with any luck it won't take them 3 years to get it on-screen.

No comments: