Thursday, December 22, 2005

breakdown

A week ago Tuesday, DS2 was diagnosed with strep throat.

This Tuesday, DD was diagnosed with strep throat.

Over the weekend I noticed that my throat hurt, but I didn't have a fever and figured maybe it was just post nasal drip. Tuesday afternoon it was rather hurting more, and with DD's diagnosis, I took myself off to my doctor's office for a rapid strep test.

It came back negative, but he wrote me scrip anyway, since the schedule was completely full for the rest of the week, and he didn't want to leave me in the lurch if I felt worse.

I kept telling myself my throat only felt bad because I'd been yelling at the kids, but it felt pretty bad this morning when I first woke up and has only worsened as the day progressed. Still no fever, though -- but enough is enough, and I broke down and filled the prescription today.

Now, I have guilt, like I've done something maybe I shouldn't have. I feel constantly bombarded with the message that you shouldn't take unnecessary anti-biotics, that we're breeding disease-resistant bacteria because people are taking anti-biotics every time they get the sniffles. I think the state of my throat now qualifies as "worse:" when the pain is intruding itself on my consciousness constantly and affecting both speech and swallowing, that's "worse." I'm still wondering if I did the right thing by taking the anti-biotic, though.

I suppose I'll have my answer, if I'm not feeling better in the next day or two. At least that's what House* would say, right? In the meantime, I just want soup, and I'm wishing that Tylenol I took a while ago would kick in.


---
* We've been watching season one on DVD -- at least twice an episode I get a good laugh out of how obnoxious he is. Biggest peeve: there are apparently no nurses in his hospital. It must be the only hospital in all existence where the doctors draw their own blood and administer the meds to the patients. It's like some crazy-weird parallel universe.

No comments: