Thursday, December 08, 2005

calling

DH ended up getting a late afternoon appointment with the periodontist, who scraped out all the infection and gave him prescriptions for anti-biotics and serious pain killers. The good news is, even though he has significant bone loss and it might not grow back, there are a number of methods the periodontist can use to save the tooth. Of course the periodontist and all the procedures done in his office are not on our discount plan, but hey -- at least the infection is gone now, and DH will be all right.

That's all to the good, but today was Thursday -- soccer practice day! DH came home from work to get his roster when I pointedly said to him, Let me know if there's anything I can do for you.

It took a minute for that to sink in, I think, but then he said, Well, actually...

And that's how I ended calling the entire team and explaining that practice was cancelled for today, but that the game was still on for Saturday. Twelve players, and I reached nine parents directly. I hope those other three got their voicemail messages!

It has been quite a while since I had to call a whole list, and as these things go, this list was short. In retrospect my summer job as telephone survey taker back in my college years has provided me with a very useful (marketable?) skill: I don't have an iota of phone phobia, and I can make a cold call as comfortably as I can call a friend.I know to think about what I'm going to say before I even pick up the phone, so I have my introduction in order, along with the key information I need to convey.

I know many people would rather have their eyes poked out than make phone calls, so I guess I'm weird. It was fun.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Ah, I know this "season of pain" well. You know the season? When EVERYthing decides to break down or need some kind of attention all at the same freakin' time.

You really have been hit with a bunch of stuff. Bleeding out money is not fun