Sunday, December 04, 2005

captive weekend

I had a million things to get done this weekend, and feel like I didn't do any of them. It's not as if I didn't do anything at all, I just didn't do any of the things on my mental list, because I was tied to the house.

DS1 staggered into our room early Friday morning (around 6AM) bleating, "I can't sleep!" When asked how long he'd been awake, he said, "1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 3 o'clock..." The poor kid was a mess. He was wiped out after swim practice on Thursday, but bounced back after eating dinner, so I thought he would be OK. He wasn't, and was down with a mild virus/fever Friday and Saturday. Today, no fever all day, but still not much appetite. I'm hopeful he can go to school tomorrow; I heard him singing at one point today, and you know, sick kids don't sing.

So, I had planned to do all those million things on Friday, but didn't get to. After my p/t, I just hung out with the two boys, doing not much of anything, including housework. It's bad, really, because the place needs a good cleaning but I just didn't feel like doing it, so I didn't. I'm weird that way, I need "space" to clean -- I don't want to feel like I have to keep an eye on someone at the same time, I just want do my thing and get it done. When DS2 is the only one home I can clean just fine, but the two boys often get on each other nerves and I do need to mediate between them... so I felt constrained, I'm sure more than I needed to, but still.

Friday night I did go and get my hair cut, and it's nice. Still long but not too long, with layers that frame my face, and he thinned it out beautifully. It's nice to have hair that doesn't look ratty anymore! No photos right now, I look like death warmed over. Maybe I will later in the week if I start looking less like a zombie. I'm beginning to think my med levels are too low, I have this lingering fatigue that just isn't letting up, even when I get enough sleep. I'm not used to it anymore! I hate this feeling of having to struggle to get things done.

Saturday, I made the magic chicken, started putting together the date breads, then tried to do some errands and failed (Trader Joe's is out of almond meal, and I'm getting conflicting information as to when it will be available again), and went to Mass. Other than that, a lot of hanging around, helping a bit with the tree, but nothing much else.

Today, I ground my own almonds to finish the date breads, did laundry, backed up my blog, made ribs for dinner. The day was mostly good, being marred only by my splashing myself head-to-foot with the greasy water from the pan I steamed the ribs in, when I was putting the leftovers away. I had a big chunk of rib on a fork, and it slipped off, PLOP! right back in the cooking liquid, which landed all over me and the kitchen floor and the stove. What a mess! Since I was wearing a new-ish long-sleeved t-shirt and new jeans, I got everything into the laundry quickly, pre-treating it all with liquid Tide. Newsflash: liquid Tide does not get out grease stains. At all. So now I've treated all the stains again with Shout! and I'll run them through the wash again tomorrow and pray.

I'm also praying that DS1 will be well enough for school, and DS2, too. He started coughing this afternoon a little, and has been very grumpy. I need some time at home with the kids gone! Plus I still have those million errands to do, and I have physical therapy in the morning on top of it all.

DS1 coming down with this illness immediately set me to worrying about someone being sick over Christmas and screwing up our vacation plans. I'm not sure how that works, if we can switch the dates to another time or what... but you know what? I'm just going to have faith that all will be well. We have a few weeks to go, we'll get all the illnesses out of the way now, and everyone will be fine. DD had a sore throat and sniffles last week, too, but is already on the upswing, much better this weekend. Unfortunately DH feels as if he is coming down with something, so he dosed himself with Nyquil before bed tonight. He does tend to get something nasty once a year from the kids, poor guy. Me, on the other hand, I tend not to. I don't get garden variety crap like this, I reserve my sick days for the big stuff like cancer and other things requiring, you know, surgery. Seriously -- this is not me being the "I can't get sick, I'm too busy to get sick" Mom. I very rarely get colds and can't remember the last time I ran a fever, and if I do get sick, I get over it very quickly, usually.

I'm grateful that DS1 is already feeling better, and had a very mild illness. I will say my prayers that everyone gets and stays healthy, because this being tied down to the house business is making me crazy.

No comments: