Thursday, December 08, 2005

good news, bad news

On the good news side, the dryer has only shut off a few times this morning, and it's still doing a nice job on actually drying the clothes, so maybe we can hold off on the new dryer purchase for a while.

In other good news, I picked up my digital camera today, and the repair shop replaced the broken switch at no charge. I'd link, but they don't have a website: Arizona Camera Works, on Arizona Ave. They definitely didn't have to do that, since the warranty is only 6 months, and it was more than 6 months ago by far that I had the work done. They didn't even charge me for the labor, even though I asked if I could, at least twice. So even though I needed to get the camera fixed again, I still highly recommend these guys -- it's not their fault that the replacement switch died, which is what caused the problem this time around.

On the bad news side of things, it looks like DH is in for some serious dental work, as he is in danger of losing one of his front teeth.(!!!) Poor guy has been through some major mouth-work over the past few years, including surgery and orthodontia (Invisalign, they totally rock, and I wish I had had them when I had my braces when DD was a baby). One of his front teeth has been loose for a while, but the orthodontist assured him it would settle in eventually. Today at his teeth cleaning it was seen to be infected, and there is bone loss along with major gum problems (6 mm pockets). Yikes! He sounded so distressed. He has been working so hard to keep his own teeth, I know he will be really upset if he has to get -- what? They can't do a crown or an implant, I'm guessing, so it would be a bridge? I don't know.

Of course, whatever it is will cost us an arm and a leg, since we don't exactly have dental insurance -- Delta Dental doesn't offer it to individuals, and the BC/BS dental plan costs more than it's worth. We do have a "discount dental plan," so maybe it won't be so bad. But the main thing is getting that infection cleared up, and making sure DH will be OK. Of course this is something that will cause him to miss more work.

Nothing to do now but wait and see what happens. And pray.

No comments: