Saturday, December 10, 2005

mouthful of salt

My parotid salivary glands are acting up something fierce lately. My face is mildly mumped, not so that anyone else can tell that they're swollen, but I can see it. They don't feel very good, either, so massage, while beneficial, isn't at the top of my list at the moment.

The worst thing is that I keep getting streams of salt water instead of normal saliva. I'm chewing a lot of gum but you know, salty wintergreen or salty peppermint just aren't doing it for me. I use my Biotene stuff religiously, too.

I wish I knew what triggered this behavior, so I could avoid it or at least expect it. I also wish I knew how long it's going to last. It has been going on for about a week now, and it's affecting my eating and desire to cook, too. When everything tastes salty, your whole relationship with food gets distorted. And this is probably the single worst time of the year to not be able to taste properly!

No comments: