Friday, December 02, 2005

post-op progress report

It has been six weeks since my surgery, so it's time for another update.

All the on-site help left at the end of my 3rd week post-op, so I've been flying solo (not really, it just seems that way when DH is at work) since then and doing generally OK. I haven't had, or needed, a melt-down yet. That's a relief. Sometimes when you haven't had to do something for a while and then it gets dumped back in your lap, it can seem harder than it really is. So far so good on the coping front.

My head and neck mobility are excellent, and Elf is very pleased with my progress. I still have slight right-sided weakness in the arm and shoulder that we're working on -- I'm in physical therapy 3x/week, and boy does that take a chunk out of my errand-running time. I was diligent about doing my p/t exercises at home for about the first month, but I have really slacked off in the past week or so. I'm either going to p/t or taking a yoga class every day, it seems, so is it really so important? Yes, I know it is, but I've been doing so much running around that I haven't been making it a priority. I'll ask Elf about it tomorrow, because I don't want to screw myself up by not doing them when I've made so much progress already.

I still have the numbness and very tight feeling in the right side of my neck and affecting my right ear, too. (Unexpected, related downer: I can't find my diamond stud earrings, last seen in Houston! I didn't wear them home because my ear felt too weird for studs, and I don't know where I put them to bring them home... I'm very upset with myself for losing them, but I'm still hoping they will turn up somewhere.) Elf has been working at massage to loosen things up in there, and it is helping; I'm having more and more electric-shock and tiny ice-pick feelings along the jawline and down the neck, lately. While annoying, these feelings are to the good, because it means that sensations are returning. I'm hopeful that eventually everything will be normal again.

Both Elf and my ENT commented that my scar is looking excellent and has good mobility. It twinges me from time to time, and I have been massaging it every day with Aquaphore (recommended by my dermatologist for all my other biopsies and scars, so why not this one, I figured.) Here's the scary picture with the steri-strips and the drain; here's the scar at 3 weeks out. Which brings us to today. Sorry these photos are a little blurry, my camera batteries were dying, so I took these shots quickly -- and poorly, it seems, but good enough to see the improvement, I think!




Because these photos are crummy, I didn't bother cropping them down, so consequently you can see a lot more neck than in the other photos. One thing that really leaps out at me is how much swelling I had in my neck, which has completely disappeared. The other obvious thing is that the depression in the center of my neck is slightly exaggerated, as my surgeon said it would be -- that's from the bilateral paratracheal dissection, he actually removed muscle tissue from in there, so it looks like my neck is caving in a little there. I'm sure it's not anything that most people would ever notice. Last, the act of holding out the camera to take the picture causes some of my neck muscles to flex a bit, and that is contributing to the ropiness of my neck in these shots. I don't always look like I'm straining!

The scar itself comes off a bit more red in the photo than it really is, but again, I'm too lazy to manipulate the photo to bring it into alignment with reality. At this point, very few people notice my scar, and even fewer comment on it -- that's fine with me.

One annoying thing is that because of the long incision and the nerve weirdness in my neck, I can't stand to have anything on it. Most winters I live in turtlenecks and mock turtleneck tops, and I have a drawer full of them that I simply cannot wear right now -- and who knows whether or not I'll get comfortable over the course of the winter? I went to the Gap today and bought some new long-sleeve T's. I looked a few other places but I went with the Gap's because I like how they fit me -- I know they'll fit.

They finally posted my statement over at MDA -- they say I only owe $1700. I'm not going to argue, but we are going to wait to pay it until closer till the end of the year!

I am, as I said, allowing myself to think that I'm done with the active management/eradication phase of the Cancer Cycle. I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not. Right now the biggest worry I have is getting new prescriptions out of the endos at MDA in time for me to get them filled by the mail order folks. I'm sure it will work out one way or another. It's great to contemplate a future in which no horrofic procedures or treatments involving radiation are planned.

2 comments:

nina said...

Nice going! And a comment on those Gap long sleeve Ts: I have been LIVING in them all fall and they are wonderful! Great colors, cool stretch. Not something my mother would wear. Which makes them even more attractive. :)

J Willard Papercollector said...

Bits, so glad you are progressing so well. I am praying this is just the beginning of you becoming very well for a long long time. No more!!! love you