Friday, February 17, 2006

my heart's desire

There's a relatively new cashier at Trader Joe's, T. He's gorgeous, but nice, even if he does know he's gorgeous. He's also, I'd say, mid-twenties at the most. (I was going to say, I'm not quite old enough to be his mother, but I have to be honest: I am.) He's a lousy bagger, so I don't usually go to his line, but today his line was the shortest and the store was crowded, so I went to his line.

DD and DS1 were amusing themselves playing "junior charades", not really charades at all, just one pretending to be something and the other trying to guess what it is. It's actually pretty hysterical to watch, because DS1 comes up with stuff like "a statue", but he's moving his eyes back and forth in such a way that lead us to guess things like "a lizard waiting to pounce on a bug."

As I said, the lines were long.

Finally, it's my turn, and T says to me, "Did you find everything your heart desires?" Did I mention he has a very dreamy smile?

I laughed, "Everything my heart desires? Well, let me say... yes, I found everything that my heart desires that's on sale here."

So then he smiled and said, "I'm for sale, too, if you're wondering..." He laughed.

Yikes! I laughed, too, "No, I wasn't wondering. But that's not something I've thought about in a really long time: my heart's desire? It's something I'd have to think about."

Then he commented on the kids' charades game ("It's charades for people who might not be able to spell," I said), and he asked if I needed the milk to be bagged, and we wished each other good weekends.

It's impossible not to be charmed by a young handsome grocery clerk who flirts with you even when you're shepherding two kids.

As to my heart's desire: that's easy, actually. I want to be well. That's the only thing I'd change.

No comments: