Tuesday, April 18, 2006

milestone


Amidst all the running around last week, I picked up a new booster seat for DS2. He's almost 42 inches tall, and he weighs 40 pounds, so he qualifies for this backless booster seat. DD has one just like it.

So, what's so special about this booster seat? Because it's backless, the children have no problem reaching around and fastening their own seatbelts. For the first time in 9+ years, the only seatbelt I have to fasten in the car is my own. I'm still not used to it, and every time we get in the car to go somewhere, I'm surprised and delighted again because I don't have to reach over and do the buckle.

It's a very small thing, I know. But DS2 is happy that he is a big boy now, and after struggling the first few times, he has the whole seatbelt-fastening routine down pat. Part of me wants him to stay little, but most of me is enjoying his increasing competence and indepedence. It all goes by too fast, anyway. It still feels like just last week that he was an infant -- I'll blink and they'll all be driving themselves. Best to note these moments when they occur, then.

No comments: