Friday, August 15, 2008

out of the blue

I'm flying back to New York on Monday, so I can be on television Tuesday morning.

How did that happen? It all started more than eight years ago, when I wrote Confessions of a Recovering Control Freak, which has languished on thar interwebs ever since. Until today, when the producer of The Morning Show with Mike and Juliette (audio at the link) called to talk to me about it. They're doing a segment on how controlling personalities affect relationships, and he loved my take on it.

After much deliberation and discussion with family members, I agreed. I'm excited but nervous, and also second-guessing my decision at this point. In the pre-interview I had to go over a lot of ancient history, and it is a bit discomfiting to talk about all the little things I used to pick on DH about. I feel dense that it took me so long to come to my senses! But at least I did, and things are much better now.

DH is OK with this as long as I don't present myself as "cured", LOL. He's so awesome. I can't imagine where I'd be without him.

Update: It's not happening. When I hadn't heard anything about travel arrangements by 5PM Eastern Sunday afternoon, I called the producer and left him a message. He called back a half hour later, explaining that they'd found local people and that he had to conserve his budget. Now I am simultaneously disappointed and relieved, which is a very odd mixture.

3 comments:

Sissy Willis said...

This bit really hit home for me:

"Well, in my case, my husband would take so much garbage from me before he'd vent, and I, in my supremely clueless state, would be wondering why he exploded over such a little thing?"

Good luck with your interview. You will shine. :-)

nina said...

I read your piece for the first time. Thanks for it. Some of us identify!
Congrats on the interview. I'm not surprised that you're in demand!!

Anonymous said...

Well, that's a shame - I would have really enjoyed listening as the original was outstanding.

Like the time Ross was on the radio in San Antonio and I called in only I got cut off just as I went on and couldn't get back on.

Unfortunate, but hey...at least you have some recognition.