Tuesday, February 07, 2012

habituated

It took a little more than a week for the shock to wear off. Now I can go entire consecutive hours without thinking about the fact that I have a recurrence (of indeterminate size) and that I am having a biopsy tomorrow.

Then I remember.

It's surprising how future-focused day-to-day life is. With school, it's planning the next lesson, and the lessons for the next day and the days after that, all the way out to spring break. With my family, it's figuring out who has to do what, when, and who needs a ride where, and all that.

What we'd like to be doing, what I would be usually doing at this time of year, is planning our spring break activities and starting to look at flights back east for the summer. That's where my mind goes when I forget, and then I remember.

No comments: