Saturday, July 13, 2013

salvage operation

The weather, so far, has been uncooperative.  We did see the sun for about 5 minutes here and there today, and it was nice to finally see a slice of blue sky.  But this evening intermittent showers began, and I felt like throwing in the towel.

I'm not sure whose idea it was, but we ended up going to see Pacific Rim instead.  Yes, it was silly, but it was also fun.  And unsurprisingly, given director Guillermo del Toro, it looked beautiful.  The scene that introduces Mako Mori, with silver rivers of rain sheeting off her black umbrella, was shockingly gorgeous.  An extended flashback scene purposefully evoked Spielberg's red-coated girl in Schindler's List, but more effectively, for me -- the little girl this time was a real character, not a symbol.   There was a lot to look at, but it all made sense, unlike other blockbuster movies (I'm looking at you, Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel) in which I usually can't make head or tails of who's being punched or dragged through a building or whatnot.

Plus, the monsters were really cool, the geeky scientists came through, and the casting was superb.  I understand that many people detest this sort of movie, and even DS1 continues to scoff (even after having seen it), but I was willing to be entertained, and I was.


No comments: